11 October 2009

Knowing when to say when

Its been a while hasn't it? Well, as life catches up with you sometimes little extras drop to the sidelines.

I was thinking about limits yesterday when I was at the commissary on base. I watch as 300lb people pick up gallons of soda and pounds of potato chips, moms give into their toddlers just to get a moments peace... men grab every protein shake on the shelf and women stare aimlessly at the beauty counters.

It is amazing how at some point we all need to pull back and say ENOUGH! I'm walking through the aisle, and like me, there are plenty of other woman dragging multiple little ones behind them 2, 3 even 4. I ask myself -- would I ever want any more kids? Nope. Not even a second to come up with that answer. Don't get me wrong I love my children, but when two people make the personal choice to become a baby mill -- do they ever consider their children's feelings?

I'm not referring to the 1,2,3 or even 5 crown. I'm talking the 8+ kid crowd. I know these families claim "we all work together" and "its a team effort" -- I'm sorry but should little Suzy really have to be mommy to a bunch of babies she didn't birth? What if she'd prefer to be out playing soccer, or at her friends? Duke and Luke will go so far as to throw a diaper in the trash, but I'll be damned if they find themselves being a parent figure before they even hit puberty. Add to that the stress of Deployment-Induced single parenting and you might be creating an unhealthy burden on the children in the house.

All of that being said there are families out there that make it work. The Swans in Maine -- seemed to have a well adjusted loving home. The kids all had their own "thing" and weren't forced into adulthood. There are the Duggers we all know their life -- and I think it is their example that makes me wonder or give the "side eye" as some would say.

aaaaand Like MandyBrownNoser says "its not my place to judge".

Anyway, as I'm walking through the dairy aisle I'm approached by a retiree looking for coffee creamer. He compliments my brood of minions and asks if we plan on having any more. He smiles and says

"My wife had seven"

I respond, "My husband had a vasectomy"

He laughs and says quietly -- "Good Idea!"

No comments:

Post a Comment