02 January 2010

I married a Sailor MAN... I married a Sailor MAN...


he's strong to the finish cause he eats his spinach I married a sailor man!!


The sad part is I am not kidding. I married a Sailor and he loves his spinach. I usually keep about 4-8 cans of Popeye's Spinach in the pantry just incase he gets a craving.

Now, I like spinach too, but there is only so much of it I can take just warmed and thrown on a plate. So lately I've been looking for ways to make his favorite veggie a little more interesting.

A couple of days ago I came up with a recipe for a spinach side dish. I used a recipe for Stuffed Mushrooms and broke it down or "deconstruced" its ingrediants to create my own twist. So here is the recipe for that one.

Deconstructed Stuffed Mushrooms with Spinach and Cheese:
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (4 ounce) can portabellla mushrooms (chunky)
1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach (cooked or drained)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 onion, diced (small)
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)

Directions
1. grease a 1qt baking dish set aside; preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. drain mushrooms and give a rough chop.
3. Heat a pan place oil in it and when hot -- add stems, onions, cook 5 minutes or until onion is translusent.
4. Add spinach, salt, pepper, minced garlic and pepper flakes, cook 3 minutes.
5. remove from heat; stir in cheese and sour cream until incorperated.
6. place mixture in baking dish and place in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
7. Enjoy!


and for you dining pleasure a great recipe for Spinach Quiche (this baby has BACON!)

No comments:

Post a Comment